Fall 2021: Back Together Again (May 7, 2021)
To the Campus Community:
This is the message I have wanted to write for fifteen months. It is the one that responds to our collective yearning for community and connection by announcing that TCNJ is all-systems-go for an in-person return to campus in Fall 2021.
What will an “in-person return” mean?
- The campus will repopulate with students, faculty, and staff.
- Classes will be held in person consistent with any state spacing limits in place at the time. If there are limits—they currently remain at 6 feet for indoor gatherings—most classes will rotate cohorts of students for in-person attendance.
- Travel restrictions will be lifted in accordance with state and federal guidelines, enabling faculty, staff, and students to begin attending conferences once again.
- Welcome Week for incoming students will proceed in person. There will be special activities for sophomore students who missed the social opportunities of Welcome Week this past fall.
- The residence halls will reopen with multiple occupancy (doubles, suites) in addition to singles. Residents may use lounges and other social spaces pursuant to state rules for distancing and face coverings. We will continue to reserve one residence hall for isolation accommodations, as needed.
- Dining options will expand, including T-Dubs, satellite cafés, and possibly The 1855 Room in addition to Eickhoff and the eateries in Brower Student Center. We will continue to follow state distancing rules and other protocol for indoor dining.
- We look forward to reactivating varsity athletics, recreation options, and most student club and organization activities, consistent with state density limits.
- Employees not already on campus will begin returning over the summer. All offices will be open and staffed during regular hours by Monday, August 9. We anticipate a combination of fully on-campus and staggered rotational schedules. Supervisors will set work arrangements based on operational needs to ensure office coverage and in-person service.
TCNJ’s COVID-19 Dashboard includes daily updates of confirmed cases both on and off campus as well as cumulative case totals.